How to apply

Contacting our Director of International Chess Operations GM Georg Mohr or our International Athletic Director Mr. Rade Džambić is your first step towards a successful application to the Calusa Chess Program.

Contact Info

Georg Mohr

E-mail address:

Skype: georg.mohr15

Viber: +386 (40) 834 432

Rade Džambić

E-mail address:

Skype: dzambinjo

Viber: +381 (62) 350 811


To study as an international student in the United States you need a Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for  Nonimmigrant Student Status." After Calusa International Prep School officials notify you of acceptance to the School and the Program, a designated school official (DSO) will send you an I-20 form. We will issue each student-chess player an I-20 form with the fulfillment of the following requirements: enrolling as a full-time student at Calusa Prep, providing a copy of your passport, completing required deposit, and providing financial verification that you have sufficient funds to support your stay in the United States.


  1. Enroll as a full-time student at Calusa Prep. This includes completing all parts of the application before being offered admission.
  2. Provide a copy of your passport.
  3. Complete the required deposit (and the international student fee, if applicable).
  4. Provide financial verification stating that you have sufficient funds to support your stay in the U.S.A. We may receive a fax or a copy. The US Embassy will require the original.


U.S. immigration regulations require that you demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your living and educational expenses for study on a full-time basis. All international applicants must meet our financial documentation requirements to receive a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20), and to apply for your F-1 visa.

What is acceptable financial verification?
All documents must be in English, or include a certified English translation. Choose one of the following:

  • Bank statements from past 3 months showing regular deposits accompanied by an Affidavit of Support
  • Letter from bank
  • Letter from employer stating salary accompanied by an Affidavit of Support

Funds in your bank account must equal annual tuition plus living expenses. We calculate living expenses at $1,500 per month.

IMPORTANT: The I-20 was updated starting June 2015, with all new I-20s issued using the new format starting June 26, 2015, and the new I-20 necessary for all students seeking entry or re-entry starting July 2016.

You will need the Form I-20 for any of the following:

1.) Paying your  I-901 SEVIS Fee.

2.) Applying for your nonimmigrant visa at your U.S. Embassy or Consulate.


The U.S. tourist visa, otherwise known as the B1/B2 visa, is specifically for persons wishing to enter the United States for business, pleasure, tourism, or medical needs. If you are visiting to participate in one of our camps or are a parent/family member of a student-chessplayer, you will need to obtain a B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa.

Each individual applying for a Tourist Visa must submit the following information to the US Embassy in your respective country:

  • The DS-160 online application for nonimmigrant visa
  • A passport valid for at least 6 months after intended stay
  • One 2x2'' photograph
  • Application and issuance fee

Calusa Prep can issue you a letter of support that you can provide to your Embassy. Please email a copy of your passport picture page to and let us know your reservation dates to travel to Calusa Prep.

3.) Entering the United States

IMPORTANT: Bring your Form I-20 with you when you enter the United States. You will present it to U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the port of entry when you arrive. You may arrive up to 30 days before the start date listed on your Form I-20.


Bring your passport, and I-20 form to school, and present to the International Student Advisor or a Designated School Official (DSO). The DSO will sign your I-20 on page two and make copies of all your legal documents: I-20, visa, and passport.

Students who are boarding on campus will be required to bring their visa documents to Calusa Prep in order to be secured.

4.) Applying for a driver’s license or  Social Security number: If you need to apply for a driver’s license or Social Security number, you may need to bring the Form I-20 with you to prove you are legally enrolled in our program of study.

If you have any further questions about the Form I-20, we encourage you to speak with the DSO at the Calusa International Prep School.

Follow these links for more information about our Program and Tuition and Fees.